Winter is on the way! That means it’s time to find fun activities to help you stay active and moving even when it’s cold.
Now, if you’re anything like me less sunlight and colder temperatures do not help your motivation to workout.
But have no fear!
Here are 10 fun activities to keep you moving this winter!
All are customizable for your fitness level, require minimal equipment, and most importantly, are fun!
Fun Outdoor Workouts
These winter exercise ideas are sure to get your body moving, your blood pumping, and will help you stay fit all through the winter!
1. Cross Country Skiing
The benefits of cross country skiing include:
- full-body workout
- improve cardiovascular health
- increases endurance
- you can go at your own speed (customizable)
- great for including friends or family
If you choose to go cross country skiing you can buy new equipment but you certainly don’t have to! There are many places that rent equipment (our local nature center rents equipment) or you could opt to buy used.
Snowshoeing is a great way to get out, enjoy nature, and move your body!
This exercise is great if you are looking for:
- a low impact workout
- time out in nature
- activity for the whole family
- something you can do at your own pace
If you’re interested in giving this activity a try, check out your local YMCA, nature center, or even a sports shop. They may rent out equipment so you can try it out and see if it’s something you like.
3. Ice Skating
I don’t know about you, but it’s been YEARS since I have been ice skating. Which is one reason that this activity has just been added to my winter to-do list!
Here are a few other reasons to lace up some skates and hit the ice
- strengthens and tones all muscles, especially lower body muscles
- increases cardiovascular health
- helps with balance and coordination
- low impact workout
So, not only is ice skating fun, it’s a really good workout too!
If you’re interested in giving it a try most ice skating rinks will likely have rental skates if you don’t have your own or want to buy them. You may want to consider wearing gloves in case you fall, so don’t forget those!
If you haven’t been sledding in a while you may have forgotten what a workout it can be.
Going down the hill can be exhilarating, but trudging back up is where the real magic happens! The workout magic, that is 😉
So, next time you get snow grab your kids, warm clothes, and a sled or two, and head out to the nearest sledding hill!
It’s a great way to get out and get some exercise as a family. In addition to being a great way to add a full-body exercise to your day, you will reap the benefits such as:
- enjoying fresh air and sunshine
- having fun and lowering stress levels
- spending time with your kids, friends, or family
All you need to go sledding is warm clothes and a sled.
Don’t have a sled? You can totally improvise!
Here are some really creative ideas for those who find themselves without a sled (or if you’re feeling adventurous!).
If you love to hike but put your gear away as soon as the snow flies, you may want to hold off on packing up.
Winter hiking has many health benefits along with the added bonus of being beautiful! Typically trails are less busy and you’ll find that even familiar trails look different when everything is covered in a layer of snow.
Thinking of taking a hike? Here are some benefits:
- enjoy time in nature
- exercise your whole body
- unplug and relax your mind
- get fresh air
If you plan a hike and take lunch you can make a whole day of it.
Winter hiking is a great way to spend time with people you care about, add movement to your day, and make memories that will last a lifetime!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
Tips For Working Out In Cold Weather
All of the options above are great ways to help keep you moving this winter, but here are a few important safety tips:
- Check the weather before you go out– make sure it is going to be nice. You don’t want to get stuck somewhere in a snowstorm!
- Wear layers– choose clothes that you can layer. You don’t want to freeze the whole time, but you don’t want to be sweating and not be able to cool off either. Also, bring extra gloves and socks in case the ones you’re wearing get wet or you need more layers.
- Pack plenty of water and some snacks– it may not seem like it but you can get dehydrated in the winter so water (and plenty of it) is essential! And don’t forget some healthy snacks because after a day of outdoor fun you’ll need them 😉
- Bring safety equipment– what you need will depend on what activity you’re doing. Safety equipment could include a helmet, map, hand-warming packets, or a compass.
And no matter what, a first aid kit is always a good idea!
Plan your activities, keep safety in mind, and you’re sure to have a great time!
Indoor Workout Ideas To Keep You Moving This Winter
Ok, so if you find yourself looking at the outdoor exercise ideas and thinking “Nope, not happening!”, don’t worry.
There are plenty of ways you can work on your fitness without bundling up and trekking through the snow 😉
The benefits of yoga are numerous! Here are a few that you might find interesting:
- Relaxing for the mind
- A sense of peace or calmness
- Mental clarity
- Increased flexibility
- Increased muscle strength
- Better posture
- Increase in bone strength
And So. Much. More!! Doing yoga can be seriously amazing for your health!
Yoga is a great exercise for almost every person, no matter your fitness level. It is very easy to customize and even doing just a little can have big benefits!
Walking requires no gym membership, is very easy to customize, and has great benefits!
This exercise can help get the blood flowing, be done with others or alone, and you can do it indoors or out.
Some other benefits of walking include:
- improvement in balance
- strengthens bones
- reduces the risk of heart disease and stroke
- increases strength and endurance
Walking is a great way to add movement to your day!
And the best part- they’re free!!
3. Resistance Band Workout
Resistance bands are inexpensive, can be used for different fitness levels, and are a great way to work the whole body while building strength.
Some benefits of resistance band workouts include:
- exercises build strength and stamina
- easily customizable
- no bulky equipment
- easy to add variety to workouts
- a whole-body workout
Ok, so HIIT workouts (high-intensity interval training) can be a little more challenging, but don’t feel like you have to start with the most intense workout you can find! In fact, please don’t do that!! Start at your level and work up.
Why are HIIT workouts a great activity to keep you moving this winter?
Here are a few reasons:
- a short but very effective workout
- helps to build muscle
- increases metabolism
- improves blood circulation
- no equipment needed
- very customizable
*If you are recovering from adrenal fatigue (or any cause of fatigue) or struggling with a health issue, this exercise may not be right for you.
Dancing is so much fun! Whether you join a class or dance at home, you are sure to have a great workout and have a blast doing it!
Wondering why dancing is such a great way to keep you moving this winter?
Here are 4 great reasons:
- strengthens bones
- improves heart and lung strength and health
- increases muscles strength and endurance
- increases aerobic fitness
Interested in dancing but not sure where to start? You could always check your local fitness center, YMCA, or community center for classes. Grab a friend or two and give it a try! Or go by yourself and meet people, dancing can be a very social activity 🙂
If you’re not sure about going out to dance you can always find free options on YouTube.
What kind of dancing do you feel like? A little Zumba? Maybe some cardio dance or hip hop? Or what about Line Dancing? Just search for what sounds fun that day, clear a little space, hit play, and have fun!
A Few Last Thoughts About Fun Activities To Keep You Moving This Winter
If you’re looking for fun activities to help you stay active this winter these 10 ideas are a great starting place!
Whether you choose outdoor winter exercise or prefer to stay active indoors, the most important things to remember are to keep moving, have fun, and be safe!
Do you have a favorite winter activity? I would love to hear about it!
Feel free to leave a comment or send me a message 🙂
- 13 Reasons To Exercise That Will Motivate You To Start Today!
- 10 Benefits Of A Fitness Journal (+Why You Should Keep One!)
- Best Yoga Mat For Bad Knees
- 8 Best Exercises For Spring (Including Indoor + Outdoor Activities!)
- 8 Fun Summer Workout Options (+Helpful Safety Tips!)
- Fall Fitness: 12+ Best Exercises & Must-Have Tips