Thinking of trying a Himalayan salt inhaler but unsure if it’s right for you? Keep reading to find the benefits, uses, and exactly how this salt therapy could help you breathe better, sleep better, and even feel happier!
In this article we’ll go over:
- What is a Himalayan salt inhaler?
- How does a salt pipe (salt inhaler) work?
- What are the benefits of salt therapy?
- Safety info & risks of Himalayan salt inhaler
- Last thoughts
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
What Is A Himalayan Salt Inhaler?
Also known as a salt pipe, a Himalayan salt Inhaler is a simple pipe that allows you to inhale salt (typically Himalayan salt) because it is believed that inhaling salt in this way offers benefits for breathing, lungs, sleep, and more!
The pipe itself is pretty simple, usually made from plastic or from a ceramic material, and has a mouthpiece similar to the one found on a tobacco smoker’s pipe. This is attached to a cylinder that has a flattened bottom.
When you inhale, the salt particles are drawn into your windpipe on the moist air you are breathing in.
From your windpipe, the teeny tiny particles pass into your lungs.
So how would inhaling tiny salt particles help your lungs and even your mood?
This is where it gets really interesting!
How Does A Salt Pipe (Salt Inhaler) Work?
Salt therapy – also called halotherapy – has many devotees throughout the world.
Salt has been used for hundreds of years and is known to have many healing properties, including being antiviral, antifungal, antiseptic, and antibacterial.
A few examples of salt used in healing you may be aware of are:
- Using a warm salt water rinse as a mouthwash if you have a sore or bleeding gums
- After tooth extraction, the dentist will often recommend a saltwater mouthwash to keep the wound clean and free from infection
- Sitting in salt rooms if you have a cold, congestion, asthma, or have smoking-related issues
- Enjoying health benefits from a salt lamp in your home or office
Along with all the popular uses listed above, Himalayan salt also contains minerals that are beneficial such as
calcium, magnesium, and potassium.
These minerals give the salt its distinctive pink tint.
In addition to being mineral rich, salt is also known to emit negative ions.
These are invisible molecules that have no taste or smell but that exist in the air we breathe.
They are particularly noticeable in certain places such as the seaside, in the mountains, or near waterfalls and fast-running rivers.
The reason why many people feel calm and relaxed in these places is that negative ions are more abundant, and negative ions have been shown to boost the levels of serotonin in your body.
And serotonin is one of the hormones that helps us feel happier, settles our mood, and relieves stress and anxiety.
What Are The Benefits Of A Himalayan Salt Inhaler?
The benefits of using a Himalayan salt inhaler can include:
- Better quality sleep– increased serotonin produced as a result of halotherapy helps calm the mind and relax the body. This in turn makes sleeping easier and of better quality.
- Combats depression– using a salt inhaler you can boost the number of negative ions in the air you are breathing which can help to fight depression and improve your mood.
- Relief of stress and anxiety– increase in negative ions can help you feel calmer and less stressed, along with increasing feelings of happiness and contentment.
- Helps to reduce inflammation– especially in the sinuses so breathing becomes easier.
- Helps thin mucous– making it easier for the body to expel.
- Improves indoor air quality- freshens the air and enriches oxygen.
- Cleanses and purifies airway- salt pipe acts to flush away dust and toxins that we inhale when breathing.
- Relieves respiratory symptoms– a Himalayan salt inhaler helps to relieve those symptoms associated with conditions like allergies, asthma, and sinusitis.
- Aid your immune system– your immunity to disease will be boosted when your body is working at its maximum efficiency.
Are Himalayan Salt Inhalers Safe? Are There Risks?
Himalayan salt inhalers are a drug-free method of cleaning your respiratory system that many have found to be quite helpful!
Salt inhalers are a convenient and economical way of enjoying salt therapy right in your own home.
There are very few risks when using salt inhalers that you should be aware of before you start though.
One possible risk is that using a Himalayan salt inhaler improperly can lead to a person ingesting too much salt so please follow the directions 😉
Also, if you suffer from kidney problems, liver problems, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, or have suffered a stroke then you should talk to your doctor before use, as too much salt can make these problems worse.
While salt pipes are generally quite safe to use, it is always wise to check with a doctor before you give it a try!
Helpful Tips For Using A Salt Pipe
While many Himalayan salt inhalers come ready-filled, you will need to periodically refill the inhaler from the supply of Himalayan rock salt that came with the inhaler.
Refill your inhaler when the salt in it becomes moist and starts to clump together.
Be cautious using other types of salt in your inhaler, not all are safe for inhalation!
Himalayan rock salt is normally used because it is pure with nothing added and naturally rich in minerals.
A Few Last Thoughts On Himalayan Salt Inhalers
Salt has been used for its medicinal properties for thousands of years.
It has always been a valuable product and has even been used as currency in some ancient societies!
(It is well-known that Roman soldiers were sometimes paid in salt rather than coin)
So it’s not hard to see how the use of halotherapy became popular.
In more modern times, salt therapy is thought to have become popular because of a chance discovery by Dr. Feliks Boczkowski, a doctor working in Poland. He found that people working in salt mines had fewer respiratory problems, better skin, and were sick less often.
During World War II, people hid in salt caves and Dr. Karl Hermann Spannage made similar observations, noting that people who spent time in these caves had respiratory systems that were healthier than others.
This supported the earlier findings by Dr. Boczkowski in Poland.
These discoveries led to salt therapy as a medical treatment.
Now you can go to spas or facilities and enjoy man-made salt caves built from salt blocks which allow people to receive the same benefits as the miners and refugees that sparked the discovery.
But, lucky for us, using a Himalayan salt inhaler enables you to enjoy some of the benefits of a salt cave without ever leaving home!
And, with reports of easier and better quality sleep, reduced snoring, and an increase in overall health and wellness- it’s definitely worth a try 🙂
Have you tried a Himalayan salt inhaler or other salt therapy? I’d love to hear about your experience!
Feel free to share in the comments or send me an email!